- a simple pony tail holder (you can buy a bunch for 12 cents at Walmart using this coupon, Thanks Money Saving Mom!)
- Pretty ribbon. I like the organza ribbon put other types would work fine too. I have also used strips of tulle before. (You can get an 8 yard roll like this for $1.99 at JoAnns)
- Clear finger nail polish or fray check. This not absolutely necessary but it helps to make the ribbons not fray.
How to do it:
- Cut 20 (more or less) strips of ribbon that are 6-7 inches long. (Cut the ends diagonally.) You can use 1, 2 or more different colors.
- Paint the very end with polish.
- Tie then onto the pony tail holder with a square knot. Be sure to do it tightly so that they don't slip off.
- That's it! You are all done!
Another easy hair thing to make is cloth scrunchies. Cut a piece of fabric of choice 3 inches (or wider if you like a fuller look) by 10 inches (the one I just made was just 8 inches but I think it would be better with it being a bit longer.).
Then fold it in half lengthwise and sew down the side. Then flip it right side out. Thread a piece of thin elastic through it that is around 4 inches long. Sew the elastic together at the ends to make a circle. Then tuck the raw edges inside at both ends of the fabric and by hand whip stitch them together. These scrunchies work very well and last forever and are very quick to make.
For a girl that enjoys having pretty hair and gift of a variety of new hair things could be very fun to receive. Here are some other ideas to make and include.
- Instructions for very cool woven headbands.
- Ribbon covered alligator clips.
- This site has oodles of different hair things to be made!
Another fun craft that I recently did was this little origami stars. I was experimenting with using magazine pictures for the one of the left. I want to try more papers and sizes and hopefully string some up to use for some of our Holiday decorating. These look complicated but are really quite easy! Here is a YouTube video that shows you how. I found these things to the blog Day to Day where she has been showing different Christmas stuff everyday.
Have you been working on anything? Please share..... (either in the comments or post about it and leave the link to your post here!)