Tuesday, October 10, 2017

"Chips" and Salsa - With Zero Waste




In the fall one of the things that I most like making from our garden is salsa. Salsa just tastes like harvest time to me. My top favorite way to eat salsa is with chips. But even in years past I have rarely bought chips. Why? First I tend to find them on the expensive side. Second I question how healthy they are for us since they are a processed food that sits in a bag for a long time. Thirdly, for quite sometime I haven't  preferred to buy things that are in lots of packaging. Chips pretty much always come in a plastic bag that isn't very reusable. So chips were just a once in a great while sort of treat.

But I have happily found a homemade substitute that I and I think all of my family likes quite well. I like it just as it is but I do have ideas for other varieties as well. What I do is make sure to make extra when I am making tortillas for a meal some day (My recipe is here) and then a day or so later I turn the leftover tortillas into chips. I lay them out on a pan, brush them with olive oil on both sides and then sprinkle them with salt. The next step is to cut them into chip shapes with a pizza cutter. Then I bake them in the oven at around 375 degrees until they are crisp. Take them out and eat them. They are really crunchy and taste wonderful dipped in salsa. 


My tortilla recipe is generally made all with wheat flour but for this purpose I do think it would be fun to make a tortilla with a lot of cornmeal in it and then make chips from it. I hope to try that soon. You could also sprinkle different spices on it to make it even more interesting.

  Do you have any ideas for variations?

That is our zero waste and frugal, chips and salsa substitute. We like it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin