Sunday, October 8, 2017

Homemade Pizza

 Making homemade pizza instead of buying frozen or take out or something like that is a great way to avoid trash. It is also better for you and can taste pretty delicious as well!
 I use this pizza crust recipe and then I often put tomato sauce on it but sometimes I do alfredo sauce instead. I make the alfredo sauce by sauteing several chopped cloves of garlic in 1/4 cup butter. Then I add in around 1/2 cup of white flour. Then I add in milk and salt and stir well. Then I add in some pureed homemade ricotta goat cheese (you can also use cream cheese) and some shredded cheese. Cook until thickened. It is pretty easy.

  For this pizza I fried up some of the chicken breast from chickens that we raised. I also put on kale leaves, tomatoes and peppers from the garden. Then I topped it with some more shredded cheese. It was good but I actually forgot to put salt in my sauce this time so it wasn't as good as it could have been.

  I also made extra and I like to freeze them because they make a nice quick supper. I know this isn't a "pure" zero waster tip but I like to reuse the bags that I buy 20 lbs of white rice or pinto beans in. I wash them out and they get used over and over and over. They work great for putting a pizza in and putting it in the freezer. To freeze pizzas I usually pre-bake the crust for around 9 minutes and then I put the toppings on and then I freeze it and just finish baking it when I get it out to eat.
It may not be a perfect solution but it works well for us.

Do you ever make homemade pizza? Have you tried freezing them?

5 comments:

Mrs Shoestring said...

Using alfredo sauce is a great idea, I must try that one ! Your pizzas look delicious !

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

I love making homemade pizza! I haven't made the alfredo sauce though, that sounds really delicious too! I usually don't have leftovers from pizza that I make, but I liked your idea of saving big bags to freeze them in, should I ever make enough to freeze. How have you been? It has been a really busy month for me, and I hope all is well with you :)

Abbi said...

Thanks, ladies!

We do enjoy using alfredo sauce on pizza.

I would generally not have much in the way of leftovers but I will double or triple the batch on purpose to have extra.

Carmen N said...

We too make a lot of homemade pizza using a simple no-rise crust recipe. It's so quick we don't even bother making more/freezing. We just make sure we have plenty of pizza toppings on hand at all times for a quick supper. I just wish my daughter liked other toppings, not just pepperoni :-)

Abbi said...

Carmen, your crust recipe sounds interesting. That is neat that you like to make homemade pizza as well.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin