Thursday, October 12, 2017

Homemade Eggrolls

 This week we made egg rolls for supper. This is something I often think to make in the fall when we are bringing so much in from the garden. I tend to get fairly creative when it comes to what vegetables go in them. :-) This week I had a huge cabbage from a friend to use that got me thinking about egg rolls. I also put onions, garlic, celery, carrots, hamburger, ginger, salt and pepper in them.

 I make my own wrappers (and avoid the plastic wrapping that comes on the ones you buy) which is not that hard. I talk more about doing that in this post.  Making egg rolls is a kind of messy project but I do enjoy the results! :-)

  In the last year or so I have been frying them in tallow (that I processed from our grass fed and finished beef). I think it is a healthier and cheaper alternative (and also fairly Zero Waste).

  You might notice in the top picture that I have the egg rolls on a brown paper. That is the inside of a sugar bag that I saved for that purpose. I do not buy paper towels and generally use cloth rags instead but for this purpose I do like using paper. The bags work great. Afterwards they work good for fire starter.

  Do you make egg rolls? Making them from scratch instead of buying the frozen ones or even buying the egg roll wrappers definitely creates less trash. I made extra and froze a bunch too. I am looking forward to using them on a busy day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin