Friday, March 14, 2008

An easy to make Valance


A friend had given me quite a few yards of really pretty pink silky
material which I have been using in various ways in the girls room for decorating. I knew I wanted to use it to make a valance for their window but I was having trouble coming up with a design that I liked. I wanted something I could put together quickly but that wasn't just a straight ruffle across the top. After some a few problems I finally got it done last night. This is our finished product:
This valance was very simple to make and free for me since I had been given the fabric. Even if I would have gone out and bought fabric it would have been that much as used less than 2 yards. To make the Valance I just sewed together a long strip of fabric that was a little over twice as long as the window and around 18 inches high. I hemmed around all of the edges. Then I put a casing in a little over half of the length at the top leaving space on each end without casing. At that point it was ready to hang up. After hanging it up I tied up the curtain on either side of the window with some ribbon as is pictured below. I also had these cute little embroidered doily things that had come from my Grandma that had the colors I was using in the girls room in them. I thought they would be fun to use in some way so I attached them so that they would hang out where the curtain was gathered up.
At that point I decided that the middle was hanging down farther than I liked (I love windows and don't like to block them) so I gathered it up a little in the middle as well. Making your own curtains really isn't very hard and can certainly save you a lot of money.

Well I was working on window things I finally hung up some butterfly sun catchers that Mara made a while back. We were missing the little suction cup things so I just strung them on some pink ribbon and tied the up at the top.


To see many more fun and frugal tips visit Frugal Friday at Biblical Womanhood.

Have you made any curtains of valances? Do you have any fun ideas for a valance for a boys room with animals or something like that? The boys are feeling a little left out with all of the decorating and want a piece of the action.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the cute corners. That adds a special touch.

Angie said...

I make curtains all the time. For myself and friends. It is one thing I love to do as far as sewing. I usually do the basics though not too much extravagence. I really like what you did with the girls' room and FREE is a great price. ;) I think what I have found is it's all in the fabric you use. How it hangs or whatever. You could do the valances like you did and sew a string through the back of a very small stuffed animal and use it in the corners to tie it up. Something like that might be nice?

Mom2fur said...

I love that! It's so pretty and girly.
That reminds me...time to take down the poinsettia valance in my kitchen up put up something springy!

Peggie said...

You did a great job! I love the creativity. Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin