Monday, June 23, 2008

Dreaming of keeping bees


Tonight I happened upon a neat article on beekeeping. It started me dreaming about Beekeeping again. I think it would be so much fun to get our own honey, as well as the benefit of wax to make candles and such from. Also having more bees around should up the productivity of my garden. Bees sound like they are fairly simple to care for, this article says they are less work than a dog but a little more than a cat.
Getting started does sound a little expensive but there are a bunch of plans available online for building your own hives and some other equipment.
This site is out of MN and has stuff for sale as well as a lot of information on beekeeping and about bees.
Here are a lot of posters that have pictorial instructions for beekeeping.
Probably a lot of my interest in the idea of beekeeping stems from one of my favorite books "The keeper of the bees" by Gene Stratton Porter. That was a book I read quite a few times (I am a rereader of good books) during my teen years.
Do any of you have any experience with bees? I would appreciate any helpful advice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the first time I have ever heard that Bee keeping is easy. It would be very cool though. Anna

Amy said...

Well we just moved from a bee farm. It is hard work, but of course they have millions of bees. It's absolutely amazing how much bees can do! I never knew until we moved there. You could definitely call the owner and he would be happy to talk with you about stuff. Let me know if you want his information.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin