Monday, October 6, 2014

Processing Corn Over a Campfire

 My parents blessed us recently by giving us a bunch of corn from their garden that we were able to process and put in the freezer for this winter. Putting up food for the winter takes a little different twist this year as I don't have a normal kitchen with running water and a range to work with. That didn't make things all that difficult though. We just did it differently.


The corn was husked just like normal. I had a good crew to help me (Jonathan was missing because he has been spending every spare minute lately working on the chicken coop).

 The next step is to put the corn in to a boiling pot of water for 4 or 5 minutes. I could have done this using the propane campstove or the electric burner but I have found that the campfire has been the most efficient way to heat up large pots of food and also we have just been using stuff that we wanted to clean up from around here for the firewood so having fires serves a dual purpose and doesn't cost me anything. I like that! The only negative is that we did get smoke in our eyes from time to time and that isn't so fun.
After boiling the corn I used a tongs and got them out and put them in a bowl of cold water to cool and then I cut the corn off of the cob and put it in containers.

Quick and easy! I used the boiling corn water over quite a few times which saves a lot of time.

While I was processing the corn we also enjoyed snacking on it and we ate corn on the cob for 3 different meals last week. Corn on the cob is a fun part of summer and fall!

  I also cooked down applesauce over the fire. My next task that I intend to try using the fire for is canning tomatoes and applesauce. I think it will work just fine.

  Do you like to do any campfire cooking? How do you put up food for the winter? Have you ever done it over a campfire?

I will be linking this to the Homestead Barn Hop.


1 comment:

Travis said...

You know our friend Andrey grew up with his grandparents on a farm. He said that they did all of their canning over a fire outdoors. His Grandpa had a huge pot he would heat up over the fire, they could fit a ton of jars in it. I remember him saying 60, but that seems ridiculous. They kept them level by packing straw around the boiling jars, his pot didn't have a lid so they had to keep an eye on the water level and keep the fire stoked so that the water kept boiling.
~Anna

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin