Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Even when life gets crazy, we have much to say Thanks for.

We have had an interesting last day or so. Yesterday was a busy day, I had oodles of laundry, I was cleaning and I had some violins lessons to teach. On Monday morning I also arranged to have some friends come over for supper (some of whom where friends from college who are now missionaries in the Ukraine but are back visiting.). About 10 minutes before they were to arrive for supper (My supper was running a little late anyway) Aaron threw up in the hallway. Ken had been a little sick on Saturday night and then friends at church on Sunday were just getting over it or just coming down with it - so we were definitely exposed. I quickly got him in the tub and tried to get my supper done. After getting in the tub he threw up again. Anyway our company did arrive and they decided they wouldn't worry about the germs.

We had a fun supper. It was great to visit with them. I had to jump up now and then to take care of Aaron, who lost an amazing amount of fluid. After supper we adults had a good time visiting while the kids (except Aaron) had a good time playing. After a bit Jonathan comes to me saying that he doesn't feel good. I quickly got him in bed with a bucket and he quickly threw up (many times). It made for a very interesting evening. The boys had most of it out of their systems by the time I went to bed. I only had to get up twice in the night with Jonathan.

In the morning upon awaking, Megan threw up all over her bed. And then she thinks that she wants to eat breakfast!!! We did have helpings of yogurt all around.

Our house was a little chilly this morning ( 62 degrees) so we checked the outside temperature and it was -20 degrees! We weren't expecting it quite that chilly yet. We figured that our furnace would get caught up soon and just dressed warmly.

I had oodles of laundry to do(bedding from the sick kids) and was very thankful that I am not a pioneer woman who would have had to got outside to get water for all of that stinky laundry and then have to wash it by hand and hang it outside to freeze dry.

The house never did get warmer and then mid afternoon it started to get colder. I called Ken to try to figure out what to do. He decided that he had better call somebody to check out the furnace. The guy came over and found that the lever to shut of the gas had been flipped!! We felt very silly that we hadn't checked that. I don't know how it would have been flipped but I guess maybe the kids might have done it.

Things are going much better now ~ Our house is warm and the kids are feeling better and thankfully Mara and I have not gotten sick. Also the laundry is all washed (though not all folded!).

Here are some things I am thankful for:
  • A washer and dryer!
  • Warm clothes.
  • Hot Chocolate.
  • Snow that we got last night.
  • Sweet children - even when they are sick.
  • Plenty of extra sheets and blankets.
  • Friends who are friends even when we are not perfect and we have kids vomiting in the other room.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Sounds like quite an adventerous day! Glad to hear everyone is feeling better. I went home sick from work yesterday and must have had the same thing as Aaron and Johathan. I felt much better in the evening, so hopefully Mathew won't get it! See you tonight!

Betsy said...

What an eventful day! Was it Katie and Andrew that were over for dinner? I love the pinecone photo in the post--did you take it? Excellent photography!

Anonymous said...

ooohh joy. it does make me laugh the way you say it but I'm sure it wasn't overly fun. :) and your list of thankful things is so true!
love you!

Abbi said...

Our guests were Andrew and Katie and children and Mike and Mary. We enjoyed hearing Andrew tell about their work in the Ukraine tonight at church. It was also fun to get to visit with them some more afterwards.

The pinecone picture is one I took. I actually took it last year shortly after I got my camera and I was having fun shooting everything in sight!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin