Friday, April 6, 2012

I don't buy...... Margarine

When I started this series I was thinking of writing on things I don't buy that causes me to save money. Today however when I was doing some reading I was reminded of something that I used to buy and I don't buy anymore but the not buying it does not save me money- in fact I spend more because of it but I think it is worth it.

  I used to buy margarine all of the time. It worked fine in baking and was much cheaper. I still bought butter for spreading on bread and such as I have never cared for the taste of margarine.
 Over the years I learned that margarine is really not good for you and quite some time ago now I switched to just buying butter and no more margarine. I have also used Coconut Oil or Palm Shortening at times in place of margarine.

  This evening I was reading through "Nourishing Traditions" and was reminded of why I don't buy margarine. Here is part of what she has to say about it:

"To produce them (margarine and shortening), manufacturers begin with the cheapest oils- soy, corn, cottonseed or canola, already rancid from the extraction process- and mix them with tiny metal particles- usually nickle oxide. The oil with its nickel catalyst is then subjected to hydrogen gas in a high-pressure, high temperature reactor. Next, soap-like emulsifiers and starch are squeezed into the mixture to give it a better consistency; the oil is yet again subjected to high temperatures when it is steam cleaned. This removes its unpleasant odor. Margarine's natural color, an unappetizing grey, is removed by bleach. Dyes and strong flavors must then be added to make it resemble butter. Finally, the mixture is compressed and packaged in blocks or tubs and sold as a health food." ~Sally Fallon, Nourishing Traditions.

Doesn't that sound yummy?! (note the sarcasm).

So even though I don't save money by not buying margarine- I think it is best for our family.


On another (but related) note....

 I am very excited because I found a source (somebody I actually already knew- some fellow homeschoolers) or raw cow's milk!! You may recall that I used to get raw milk regularly in the winter- while last winter the dairy that did that decided to stop selling any raw milk. It was quite disappointing.

 In the summer my parents generally give us a bunch of goat's milk (raw) which we really appreciate but in the winter they go dry and now they are starting to have their babies but there isn't much milk yet. I am pretty excited to get this raw milk.

  This milk is Jersey milk which I don't think I have ever had before. It is extremely creamy looking and it looks like in each gallon that we get their will be almost 1/3 of a gallon as cream. We are pretty excited thinking about all the things that we can make with cream!
 So do you use margarine or butter? Do you get raw milk? I always love to hear your thoughs!

6 comments:

Lady Violet said...

Yes, I do buy margarine in Aldi,it is the only purely vegetarian one there is...I mean it doesn't have any milk product in it whatsoever.
However, here in our part of the world we use something very different on our bread.
Take a ripe tomato and cut it in half, horizontally. Then grate the tom. into a bowl or fridge container till you have just the skin in your hands.Add olive oil and stir. For a medium sized tom. you need 5 or 6 tblsps oil. Take a spoon and spread tom."sauce" lightly just as you would your marg. Not fattening and delicious with almost everything. My niece eats chocolate with it. To be really authentic the bread has to be the real kind and not from plastic bag.

Clint Baker said...

I don't eat it either. I was told by a scientist friend of mine, that it is only one molecule away from being plastic, Yuck! And after seeing some of these new shampoo bottles that are made from certain plant produces I can see why he is right!

Alison said...

We don't eat margarine either. Yuck! We are unable to get raw milk where we live, but we don't use very much milk either. (About 1 1/2 gallons a week, and 1/2 gallon of that is for homemade yogurt.) By they way, I love Nourishing Traditions. Every time I open it, I learn something new.

Greg and Donna said...

We don't do margarine either. I have the Nourishing Traditions book also and after reading how margarine is produced - I never bought it again.

Becky R said...

Raw milk is illegal to buy and sell in NJ, which really stinks. We have given up all dairy except cheese.

Abbi said...

Thanks so much to all of you for joining in the conversation!

Lady Violet, Your tomato spread sounds interesting. Just lately in the book we are reading about the Great Depression they mentioned using something quite similiar to that. I found that interesting.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin