Sunday, March 8, 2009

Speaks-to-me-Sunday

I have been thinking it would be fun to start a few blog series around here and the first one that I am starting on (that will hopefully be one that just keeps going and going.) is Speaks-to-me-Sunday.





The Bible is the most important book in my life. It is a message to me (and you!) from our great God and it has all that we need to know to learn about salvation, life and godliness.





Sometimes I have found however that I have just read the Bible and not really let it sink in and learn from it. In the last few years I have really been working to take the time to absorb what I read. To find parts in each section I read that really speak to me and that I can apply to my day to day life. So this is what this series is about, verses that I have lately read, or have heard used in a sermon or something like that and found encouraging and helpful to me.

I would really enjoy your comments on what you get out of the verse that I share as well as sharing verses that you have read and gained from.


~Something else I hope to include each week is a photo of something that has let me know how much God loves me. He gives us so many things to enjoy and they remind me of his love.~

"Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.

Therefore, confess you sings to one another, and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain; and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the sky poured rain, and the earth produced its fruit.

My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of hi way will save his soul from death, and will cover a multitude of sins."

James 5:13-20


Here is what I got out of this right now:

  • I want to be doing more singing. I feel cheerful a lot of the time but I don't necessarily lift up my voice to sing praises to God. Even when I am not feeling at my cheerfullest, I know singing can help get me there.
  • I think we(I!) need to do more serious praying about those that are sick. God is waiting for us to pray fervently and He can do anything!
  • The portion of this scripture that really struck me this time was the part about Elijah. It says he was a man just like us but yet when he prayed amazing things happen. God is still able to do amazing things today but I think sometimes I am lacking the faith to pray in the way that I should. Lord please help my faith to grow!
  • The part about turning somebody straying back really spoke to me too. This is an area I really need God's wisdom in, but I certainly have the desire to work for Him in this area.


What speaks to you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am working on prayer. I know I didn't give glory to God first and foremost. God has answered many of my prayers but not because I did my prayer right but because He loves me. I am truly humbled by his Grace.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin