Friday, January 25, 2008

Frugal and healthy snacks




At our home we like to do a lot of snacking. Ken isn't really into it and he is amazed at how much the rest of us can eat. We usually eat breakfast in pretty good time, have a snack around 10:30 am, then eat lunch and then snack again mid afternoon, eat supper at 6 pm and then have a snack again around 8 pm. This isn't always done but it is frequently. You would think we all would be roly poly with all that snacking but actually we aren't. Actually for many women and children it is recommended to eat small meals (snacks) to help out how you blood sugar works. With all of that snacking we need to have quick and easy things to snack on. I thought I would share some of the things that we like.



  • Apples and peanut butter. I always slice the apples for the kids as that way we have a lot less waste. None of them can eat a whole apple yet anyway.

  • Fresh fruit. This is quick and obviously good for you.

  • Carrot sticks.

  • Honey and homemade bread. This is one of their top favorites.

  • Popcorn. We love this stuff and it is very good for you and very cheap! I bought a 25 lb. bag from a co-op and we either use our air popper or pop it in a pan on the stove top. (Microwave popcorn is very expensive compared to just buying the seeds. It also has stuff with it that makes it not so healthy.)

  • Celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins.

  • Homemade cookies from wholesome ingredients.

  • Frozen peas or corn.
  • Soda crackers and peanut butter.
  • Homemade crackers with egg salad or cream cheese.

I like this recipe for Norwegian flat bread:

  • 2 1/2 cups flour. I use a mixture of white and whole wheat. Sometimes I will add rye flour for a neat taste.
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup butter milk or sour milk (or just plain milk. - you can add a tiny bit or vinegar to sour it.)

Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in the softened butter. Make a well in the ingredients and pour in the milk all at once. Mix well.

Lightly grease baking sheets; set aside. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead gently until nearly smooth. Divide dough into 10 portions. Roll each portion into an 8 inch circle. Place circles on baking sheets and prick with a fork. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 -12 minutes or till done. Remove and cool.

  • A spoonful of peanut butter. Ken really laughs at us over this one but the kids and I love it. It very fast and gives you a quick dose of protein.

Anyway there are some of the snacks we enjoy. What are some of your favorites?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great snack ideas. Thanks for sharing. CAn you share how to make homemade crackers? And granola bars? :0)

Mrs. Taft said...

Ooo, and a recipe! I love recipes. These are great snack ideas. I seem some of our old stand-by's on the list as well. Thanks for sharing! I agree that eating smaller meals more often is preferable to eating a couple of big meals. :)

vicvic said...

Great snack ideas - I'd like to try the flatbread! We're trying to avoid soy and EVERYTHING seems to have soybean oil in it. I'd like to try making my own soda crackers for that very reason.

My daughter eats frozen peas!

All in a Day said...

You make your own crackers? I'd like to see that recipe. Your snacks look similar to ours (other than celery and raisins,) but we also like graham crackers and a bowl of cereal (Kix, Cheerios, Special K, etc.)

Ang said...

hello there:) Princess my dog loves a spoon full of peanut butter for a snack too. I might have to make some of those recipes. love you

Katie Gregg said...

I always ate spoonfuls of peanut butter for snacks growing up. It's yummy!

Your homemade granola bars look delicious. I think I'll be making them SOON.

Martha said...

Popcorn! is one of our favorites too. all except Derek that is. yea, and the one you don't have that we like is cold cereal. it's not as organic as what you use but some are not to sugary.

Abbi said...

Thanks for all the comments! For the Granola bar recipe just go to the place where it says homemade granola bar and that is a link that takes you to my recipe.
The cracker recipe that I like best is the Norweigan flatbread. I do have a couple of others that I like and I will try to share them later.
I never have made soda crackers. Maybe someday. If anybody has a recipe I would be interested in getting it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin