We checked out a couple of books from the library (We love that place!) on the state of Delaware. We are looking forward to reading about it's history as well as what is special about the state.
Here are a few fast facts that we have already learned:
- Date of statehood is December 7, 1787. It is the first state which is why we are studying it first.
- Capital is Dover.
- It is the 2nd smallest state. We live in a fairly large state of Minnesota so it was very impressive to us that the narrowest part of Delaware is only 9 miles. For us that is only slightly farther than going to my parents house. Even at the longest point it is only 96 miles. (I am doing those facts from memory since I am not sure where I put that information, so I may have erred but I think that is right.)
- State bird is the Blue Hen Chicken
- State flower is the Peach blossom
- State insect is the Ladybug (that is why I posted the above picture which my sister Keren took this summer.)
- Delaware has a lot of coast line on the Atlantic ocean.
Here is a printable map for the state of Delaware.
Some foods that we have found to be fitting for this state are:
- Chicken. It is the state bird and also the raise a lot of chickens there. (We wonder, do they advertise eating their state bird? With our state bird being a loon, which does not get eaten, it seems a little funny to us to have a state bird that you are used to eating.)
- The state beverage is Milk. Yea! We love milk.
- Clams and crab are popular foods according to what we have read. (unfortunately it is expensive here so I don't think we are going to be eating that this week.)
- We figured that since the state flower is a peach blossom that they most also have peaches, so we plan to eat some peaches this coming week.
- Here is a some more information on Delaware food and has a couple of recipes including "Delaware chicken salad".
- Here are more recipes from Delaware including ways to prepare beef, fish and seafood.
I will try to keep you updated on all the fun stuff we do this next week.
If there are any of you reading that either live in or have lived in Delaware, would you please comment and say "Hi" or tell me something special about your state? Thanks so much!